Music Play List

Wednesday, April 11, 2012



Welcome to Bunica's sewing room



Introducing Me ~ Bunica

(That's GRANNY in Romanian)

My very first blog post!

I have been wanting to blog for awhile now and have just never found the time.  

Okay, here we go ...

My name is Robin. I have been happily UNmarried to Tom for 26 years. Together, we have 2 grown 28 year old sons. Justin & Johnathan.
Justin and his girlfriend Sheila, have two beautiful daughters. Adraianna is 6 years old and Nevaeh is 4 years old.
Johnathan and his girlfriend Sarah have no children ... yet!

The picture above is of Tom, myself, Adrianna & Nevaeh.

Here's how I got into quilting.

My Husband bought me a sewing machine 12 years ago. I was thrilled! So thrilled in fact, I attempted to make a skirt. I say "attempted" because it nowhere resembled a skirt. Let me tell you ... that skirt made it to only one dance in it's very short life. It danced it's way right into the trash can and the sewing machine found it's way to the very back of the bottom of a closet where it remained for about 7 years.

7 Years later, I came across an assortment of colored fabric and decided to pull out the sewing machine and make a quilt. The only thoughts going through my head were "the Husband is leaving on a fishing trip so I have a whole weekend to start AND complete a quilt." So, I got down on the floor and started cutting the fabric into tiny little squares. I sew'd and sew'd and sew'd and once I decided I couldn't sew anymore and the quilt top is big enough, I layed down the backing fabric and then the batting and placed the quilt top I just made, on top. I basted it all by hand and then stood up. I stared down at this quilt with such a huge smile on my face. I was so proud! Taking a deep breath, pushing my shoulders back and raising my head high ... I gave myself a pat on the back. (That's because no one else was there to do it for me.)
And then ... I came up with the hair-brained idea to hand-quilt the whole thing. THAT was 7 years ago!

What? Where's that quilt today? 
Why is THAT always the first question?
Well, some of you already know where it is. The rest of you ... well ... I will post pictures of it and you can see for yourself.





SHAME!


As you can see, there is alot of HAND quilting left to be done and it has no binding. Unfortunately, this quilt (I think it's hideous!) is folded and placed at the bottom of a pile of other things.

Now, 5 years later!

I'm going to start from here and post pictures of quilts that have been completed as well as some pojects that are still being worked on. This blog's main focus will be quilting with a little bit of LIFE thrown in just to add some spice and shake things up. 

I would like to thank those of you following this blog. I hope you find it - if anything - entertaining. Please let all of your friends, family members and yes, strangers ... know that they have a personal invitation from Bunica to follow me around my sewing room.

ONE WORD OF CAUTION: Please watch out for electrical cords. I can't afford to be sued!








2 comments:

  1. Wow! Not really sure how I got started - just know I made a huge quilt with triangles and squares. I tied it at the corners of the squares. Don't even think I have a picture of it. Oh well, maybe I can find it one of these days and get a very used picture of it.

    Love the idea of sharing life too. Also a good way to keep up with all the quilts we make - I'm not very good at doing that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If the yellow quilt is the one you think it hideous..You can ship it to my home.. I LOVE IT..

    Your idea of how you got started reminded me of me...
    chris
    www.chriswheelerquilts.com

    You can go to my www.welovequilting.com and look on the right and you can see a FOLLOW me thing.. You can add one to your site.. and we can sign up to follow you.. Congrats on coming in on the blogging world. IT IS FUN!

    ReplyDelete